I’ve already done a starburst/sunburst mirror diy, but I wanted to challenge myself to make another one in a completely different style. This one was actually easier to make than my first attempt, and it looks fantastic. Here is my tutorial.
- Large makeup mirror (from thrift store or dollar store)
- Popsicle sticks
- House paint
- Super 77 Spray Adhesive
- Hot glue gun
- Old Magazine
- Masking tape
- Arrange the Popsicle sticks around the mirror. Then remove the mirror and tape the Popsicle sticks in the circular formation. Make sure to only tape the parts that will be hidden behind the mirror.
- My mirror was two sided, and both sides were slightly indented. To deal with this, I stuffed the unused side with wadded up magazine sheets. I then taped the sheets in place to create a flat surface.
- Use the spray adhesive to coat the back of the mirror, and place Popsicle stick circle (that you created in step 1) on the mirror back.
- I chose to create a second layer of Popsicle sticks because my mirror was looking a bit sparse. This is completely optional depending on how you feel.
- Paint the Popsicle sticks and the mirror frame. In hind sight, it would have been smart to paint the sticks before attaching them to mirror, but I wanted an aged, antique look, so I didn’t want the paint to look perfect.
- Wrap the twine around the mirror frame, using the hot glue gun to anchor the twine every few inches.
- Using the spray adhesive, cover the back of the mirror with a circular piece of cardboard. This covers the tape and magazine wad we made in step two. It also covers the ends of the Popsicle sticks and creates a nice base for hanging. You can then attach picture hanging hooks or wall hanging tape to the cardboard.
Here is the finished product. If you look past the finger smudges, I think it looks very chic considering it is made from Popsicle sticks. It reminds me of a cottage on the beach. I’m not sure if it goes with my existing decor, but I love it.